Monday, April 21, 2014

Corrections to Writing Assignment 13



I went through and changed some of the language in Advanced Fiction Writing Assignment 13 to reflect what I was actually thinking/feeling and just how frustrating it is to be a patient in a mental hospital. I had to tone it down for the version I turned in to be reviewed because we weren't supposed to be using "inappropriate/controversial" language in our writings for the class.

Yes, I have been a patient in a mental hospital. However, unlike Karen in my story (who is basically supposed to be me), I was a voluntary admit, meaning that I checked myself in (rather than have a court determine that I was a threat to myself or society, which results in involuntary commitment).

First, I had to threaten the admitting clerk at the hospital that if she did not admit me that night, I would kill myself (which I would've) if they didn't admit me that night. Then, you go through a dehumanizing body orifice check, just like in prison. However, unlike prison, I had fewer rights over myself and my medical treatment. You can't refuse your meds (or any other treatment) in a psych hospital--they'll just keep you longer and force you to comply with it anyway. (HIPAA doesn't apply to psychiatric patients, even if they are voluntary admits.)

And that bit about making up the holidays during group therapy? That honest-to-God happened during my brief stay at the loony bin. So did the endless day and night shrieking/screaming. And one dude even came in with lice (which they didn't catch upon his initial health screening), so we all were forced to shower (individually, thank God) and wash with anti-lice shampoo and body wash for several days, which chafed my skin and smelled kind of like vomit on a hot school bus full of sweaty children.

So, yeah. I feel some empathy for people when they talk about how awful prison/jail is. But I've been to a worse place, and I am stronger for it.

And I'll be damned if I'll ever go back.

"Insanity, even in its mildest forms, involves the greatest suffering that physicians ever have to meet." --Emil Kraepelin

No comments:

Post a Comment