Wednesday, March 11, 2015

When life gives you lemons...



Well, the latest in a seemingly endless series of doctor visits has resulted in a crimp in my plans:  possible surgery! (Again!)

For those of you who have been reading this blog for a while now, you'll recall that about this time last year, I had to go to see a hand surgeon because I had a fractured bone in my left wrist.

Well, guess what? This year, I'm seeing the same surgeon next week for about the same problem in my right hand!

:D !!!

Not really.

Basically, what's going on with my right wrist/hand/arm is that I have an avulsion fracture to the tip of my radius (arm bone below the wrist on the thumb side) that is of "indeterminant" (sp?) age.

No, I do not know when I did this to my arm. I haven't fallen or anything specific like that. I know about how old the fracture is, though. (I think.) My arm/wrist/thumb started really hurting in late October of last year, about the time it got really cold in the area where I live. I put off dealing with the problem until now because I have never lost use of my thumb and it (the pain) seemed to be resolving on its own--that is, until it started hurting like a real motherfucker again. That's when I finally broke down and went and got the x-ray and CT the doctor requested.

This time, because of the way the bone is broken (yes, it is actually broken, there's a bone chip and everything floating around in my wrist's synovial fluid), I don't get a spiffy spica splint. Major sad face. :(

However, surgery will be interesting given how staggeringly right-handed I am. I'm just wondering how this will affect my work as a fabric cutter/cashier at the craft store and my ability to go back to school, especially since I'm poised to start practical (hands-on) classes in just a few months.

I'll keep you posted, but in the meantime, don't expect a whole lot on here because it does hurt to type.

And pray that you don't have weak wrist bones like me! This going to the hand surgeon stuff really sucks!


No comments:

Post a Comment