Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Inconvenient Truths


Inconvenient Truths

You know
I know
That you
Didn't want
Me to
Say those
Inconvenient Truths,
But it is
So hard
To watch
Yet another
Good friend
Make 
Yet another
Phenomenally Bad
Decision
In their life.

I knew
From the
Very moment
You told me
Those circumstances
Who she really was
And
What she was
Really all about.

I realize she is your wife.

I said
Those frank words
Not because
I have
Any designs
On taking
Her place--

I know
I can
Hold
The attention
Of no man
That way,
Especially not
Wonderful You,
Even though
Our carnal
Knowledge
Of each other
Is fresh
And forefront
In our
Like minds.

I said
Those things
Because I have
Been in
Your situation
Before
With many men.

She doesn't want you--
She doesn't want
To be
Alone.

Please believe me
When I
Tell you
These things.

It breaks
My heart
To say them.

I wish to God
I was wrong,
But I've been
On the
Misery Merry-go-round
At Dysfunction Junction
Many unfortunate times.
I know what tunes
Its calliope plays
And what the
Garish horses'
Saddles
Feel like
Against
Your flesh
And how heartsick
Ride after ride
Can make you.

I say
These things
Not because
I want to
Replace her--
I say
These things
As a close friend
Whose heart
Will bleed
When she
Crushes you--
Again.

I know
I am
Safe
In writing this
And posting it
Here,
Though you are
One of my few
Face-to-face friends
Who actually
Reads this page,
Because you have
Gone silent
To me
Since I
Said
Those things.

I realize she is your wife--

But I
Don't want
To see
You hurt
As I
Have been
Repeatedly
In the past.

It isn't right
For someone
To hurt
Like that.

It isn't right
For someone
To hurt
Another
Like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment