Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Cohen made me do it...


Bleeding, Broken Hallelujah

Put on "Suzanne"
And sit and cry
At what I am--
At what I've been--
And for the knowledge 
That no matter how I've tried
I've touched nobody's mind--
Not with my imperfect body,
Not with my beautiful mind.

I'd slice my wrists
To let them bleed
If I had blood
To give.

A wild slip of a girl
That no man--
No one--
Could truly tame
Leading a lonely life:
Confused,
Discarded,
Utterly,
Painfully
Alone--
Screaming out in the silence
The cacophony in my head
The only thing filling the void.

I'd pluck my eyes out
And toss them aside
To let you see
Who I am
But you don't care.

Raw, raw
Frayed, frail
Nerves
Tangling,
Unwinding,
And tangling again.

I'd pull my heart out
And watch it sputter
And die--
But you don't give a damn.

And like Suzanne
I'll show you how
To see
Among the garbage
And the weeds
Of my fractured mind
If only you would try
To understand.
And I would whisper
A broken Hallelujah
Because you'd see
What the world has tried so hard
To strip away. 

And I will have touched
Your perfect body
With my beautiful mind
And you would cry out
Hallelujah.

But no,
You
And the world
Don't give a damn
And so I am
Just what I am:
A broken, fractured woman
In a world full of evil

And I burn so bright
And so misunderstood
That all I can do
Is let you lay beside me
And feed you
Fine tea and oranges
And sing my own
Lonely Hallelujah.

If I had blood
I'd let you see
The beauty that's
Inside of me
When I tear my skin
And lick my wounds
In my fractured
Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment